Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The broken umbrella

Today I saw a woman's heel break on the subway stairs.  She shrieked, toppled sideways and then hobbled off through a crowd of concerned strangers.

Watching this made me laugh, and then it made me think.  First, about why she walked (well crawled really) back up the steps to retrieve the broken heel.  Is she gonna take that shit to a cobbler? And then I thought about how lucky I was to have witnessed such an embarrassing moment. 

Which leads me now to the subject of this post (and quite possibly the best tragic moment in life) the broken umbrella.  You know what I'm talking about (if you don't, please see the EPIC picture attached).  It's when the wind whips up under an umbrella and bends it in half like a mother fucker.  The panic that ensues is why I LIVE for this scenario.  Watching someone (dripping wet obviously) struggle to save their priceless accessory could be my favorite 30 second moment in life (I say 30 seconds because if they don't get that thing turned up in time, there's no saving it.  They're left wrestling a mangled mess of metal and nylon that no longer looks anything like an umbrella).  The only moment better would be watching their face 30 seconds after they've realized it can't be saved.  They're drenched, disappointed with themselves and wondering what to do with what's left of their umbrella.  PRICE. LESS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment